Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DOES THE COST COMPARE TO TRADITIONAL PARKING?
Each parking space in the AutoParkit System (API) is equal to traditional costs associated to an above grade parking structure. However since it is parked volumetrically, it doubles the number of cars parked within the same space. Furthermore it has significant impact when parking is below grade.
WHAT IS THE COMMON AND FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEM THAT URBAN PLANNERS AND DEVELOPER BOTH FACE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA?
The focus of municipalities is to limit suburban sprawl and to prioritize smart urban in-fill redevelopment projects. The design, building, and development communities are being forced to look for an alternative way to develop these projects. The challenges of developing in Southern California are many, but the one constant is the challenge of providing adequate parking. The limitations inherent with traditional parking structures often times result in (1) extremely inefficient parking structures with excessively high costs of construction, and (2) little return. In many Southern California communities the issue of parking is compounded by the lack of connectivity of public transportation. Californian’s love of their cars up in to the point that they have to park their car.
WHAT DOES “INTELLIGENT” PARKING MEAN?
Parking that integrates with the overall design concepts, removes barriers of cost & time for the developers and at the same time interacts with customers’ needs, behaviors, trends using proven off-the-shelf-technology to provide a fully automated valet service that is
affordable to operate and maintain.
WHAT IS THE TIME IT TAKES TO RETRIEVE A PARKED CAR?
From the time the system is instructed to retrieve a car it will take on average 40-120 seconds. Note: several factors play into that calculation such as size of storage facility, location of car within the storage facility, and number of cars in the retrieval queue at the
time of request.
WHAT ARE THE FUNDAMENTAL GOALS OF THE AUTOPARKIT SYSTEM?
There were 6 basic goals that the system had to accomplish:
- Cost Effective: The AutoParkit System would be competitive with or less than traditional parking per-stall costs.
- Seamlessly Simple: The AutoParkit System would be comprised of basic mechanical equipment that required no special training to maintain or repair; with no proprietary electrical components nor custom software.
- User-Friendly: The AutoParkit System would be easy to use by all consumers and adaptable for different types of users—residential, commercial, and special events, etc.
- Reliable: The AutoParkit System would strive to maintain a 100% operational time with quick, on-site plug-and-play components for easy maintenance and repair.
- Secure: “A study conducted by the United States Department of Justice found that one out of every twelve rapes occurs in a parking garage. When one looks at sexual assaults by strangers, over 40 % occur in garages.” 1 The AutoParkit Systems loading bays would provide safe and secure environment for customers. 1. Data from National Parking Association PARKING March 2009
- Sustainable: Automated parking is inherently sustainable. As compared to traditional parking structures it is projected to “reduced volatile organic compounds by 68%, carbon monoxide by 77%, nitrogen oxides by 81% and carbon dioxide by 83%. Fuel Savings also average 83%.”1 1. Data from National Parking Association PARKING March 2009
IS AND AUTOPARKIT SYSTEM ONLY FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION?
An AutoParkit System can be installed on an existing site during renovation as well as new construction. Since the structure is from steel it has multiple configurations it that allow for mixing of above and below grade parking. Ingress and Egress which is also sometimes problematic is greatly reduced since there are no turn lanes, cars can move at 90° angles. AutoParkiT eliminates passenger elevators, walk-ways, passenger stairwells so the space available for parking is highly utilized by cars.
HOW DOES THE ONGOING MAINTENANCE COST COMPARE TO THAT OF TRADITIONAL PARKING STRUCTURE?
The maintenance cost will be at or below current maintenance cost due reduced wear and tear on the building and infrastructure. Cars do not run into or scrape columns or walls. There are neither public stairwells to clean nor passenger elevators to maintain. Only emergency or maintenance lighting has to be replaced. There are no fans or blowers to circulate air. Parking stalls lines do not need to be painted.